BASIC BUTTER SPONGE CAKE
Recipe from Debbie Brown
Suitable for a 10″ round cake
Prep time: 20 mins
|12oz unsalted butter, softened|
|12oz caster (superfine) sugar|
|6 large eggs|
|14oz self-raising flour, sifted|
|1 teaspoon vanilla essence|
If you have a fan assisted oven, it may be advisable to reduce the suggested oven temperature slightly. I also recommend placing a metal baking (cookie) sheet onto the top of the bakeware so the cake is protected from the hot air during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF/Gas Mark 2-3.
- Grease and line the bakeware. Sift the flour into a bowl.
- Soften the butter and place into the food processor or a large mixing bowl. Sift and add the caster (superfine) sugar. Beat until the mixture becomes lighter in colour with a fluffy texture.
- Add the eggs along with two thirds of the flour and beat well.
- Add the vanilla essence/flavouring and then fold in the remaining flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the bakeware and level the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- When baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cold, store in an airtight container or double wrap in clingfilm (plastic wrap) for at least eight hours, allowing the texture to settle before use