CHOCOLATE OREO CAKE
Recipe from Cookies, Cupcakes and Cardio
Makes 2 – 4 8″/9″ Cakes
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
|Regular Recipe||X 1.5 Regular Recipe||X 2 Regular Recipe|
|Will make 2 8”/9” cakes||Will make 3 8”/9” cakes||Will make 4 8”/9” cakes|
|1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour||2.6 cups||3.5 cups|
|¾ cup cocoa||1.1 cups||1.50 cups|
|2 cups granulated sugar||3 cups||4 cups|
|2 teaspoons baking soda||3 teaspoons||4 teaspoons|
|1 teaspoon baking powder||1.5 teaspoons||2 teaspoons|
|1 teaspoon salt||1.5 teaspoons||2 teaspoons|
|2 eggs||3 eggs||4 eggs|
|1 cup buttermilk||1.5 cups||2 cups|
|½ cup vegetable oil||¾ cup||1 cup|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract||3 teaspoons||4 teaspoons|
|½ cup hot water||¾ cup||1 cup|
|20 quartered Oreos||30 quartered Oreos||40 quartered Oreos|
|8 ounces softened cream cheese||Crumbled Oreos (about 10)|
|1 teaspoon vanilla||Halved Oreos|
|2 cups icing sugar||Chocolate Ganache|
|2 cups whipping cream (heavy cream)||Ateco Tip 827|
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease cake pans.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and mix until combined.
- Add the two eggs and mix.
- While the mixer is beating, slowly add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Ensure that water is hot, and add water slowly.
- Once batter is combined, add quartered Oreo’s and mix a couple of times, being careful not to break up the Oreo’s.
- Divide the batter into two equal portions in prepared cake pans and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to sit on a cooling rack before removing from pan and allow to cool completely.
- While cooling, prepare filling. In a stand mixer with whisk, whisk cream until forming stiff peaks. Place in the fridge.
- Using mixer with paddle and a clean bowl, beat cream cheese until soft.
- Add icing sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add whipped cream and mix until smooth.
- Ensuring each cake layer is even and level, place one cake on cake board and smooth 1/2 cup of filling onto it in an even layer.
- Smooth filling and then place second cake on top.
- Cover entire cake with a layer of filling.
- Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to set.
- Apply second coating of filling.
- Place remaining filling into an open star tip piping bag and refrigerate for later.
- Pour chocolate ganache onto the edge of the cake, a small amount at a time.
- Place crumbled Oreos in the cake centre, and pipe large open stars in a circle with remaining filling.
- Place half an Oreo on top of every second star.
- Slice and serve!